Health center to prepare for student, staff flu shots

Katie Goulden, nurses’ assistant and senior, works on her homework in the health center during her nurses’ assistant period. Goulden said, “I normally just do my homework when we aren’t helping the nurses, which is the majority of the time, but I’ll sometimes deliver passes or maybe help walk a student to class.”

The nurses in the health center just recently finished gathering immunization records, and are now preparing for the annual students and staff flu shots, according to nurse coordinator Kandyce Hardie.

“For all of our seniors who are missing their meningitis shots, we’ve just finished contacting them and most of our seniors have them in at this point or are getting appointments,” Hardie said. “The next thing would be … when we’re going to get our students and staff flu shots, so that’s the next thing in the fall. And then it’s also the start of the flu season, so that’s the next thing we’re really looking ahead to.”
With their frequently busy schedules, especially recently with gathering immunization records, the nurses ask the nurses’ assistants to assist them with various tasks around the health center,  including making ice packs, stocking supplies, running passes to students and helping other students to their classrooms.
However, Katie Goulden, nurses’ assistant and senior, said the majority of the time, the nurses don’t need much help, leaving an abundance of free time on her hands.
Goulden said, “(The nurses’ assistants) just hang out and do our homework or read a book, and then occasionally we have to run a pass down to get a student or help the nurses if there are too many students in (the health center).”