• THE CLASS OF 2024 SENIOR ISSUE IS OUT NOW: PICK UP A PRINT COPY NOW OUTSIDE C127!

Sophomore Class to host Open Mic fundraising event at SoHo Cafe & Gallery on Nov. 6

Sophomore Class president Jordan (J.D.) Arland looks at notes in his honors chemistry class. He said he was looking forward to the Open Mic event at SoHo on Nov. 6.

Sophomore Class president Jordan (J.D.) Arland is planning an Open Mic event at SoHo Cafe & Gallery to get the sophomores involved in the community. He said 10 percent of the profits will go back to the Sophomore Class, and students will have the chance to gain public recognition for their talents.

Sophomore Class president Jordan (J.D.) Arland looks over his honors chemistry notes. He said he is looking forward to the Open Mic event at SoHo on Nov. 6. MATTHEW ZHENG / PHOTO

According to Arland, the class officers are in the process of organizing the event that will occur on Nov. 6.

“It’s going great. I sent emails out to all of the people that are going to be involved with the event, (and) contacted T.J. Integra as well as some other local bands to try to promote the event as much as they can and maybe perform,” Arland said.

The Open Mic event will feature the talents of various sophomores, and is meant to support the class and the community.

Arland said the class sponsors play a big role in the event’s preparation.

“They’re going to help me (manage) PR, and they’re also going to help me plan the event and its logistics, (such as) contacting SoHo,” he said.

Conversely, Allison Malloy, Sophomore Class sponsor and English teacher, said the sponsors were not involved in the planning of the event.

“J.D. wanted to (have) an Open Mic night at the SoHo club and the owner said 10 percent of proceeds will go to the Sophomore Class. We have no part in it and J.D. is taking care of it all,” Malloy said via email.

Despite this, Arland said he was looking forward to the event.

“I think it’s going to be a great team-building activity for the youth of the Sophomore Class,” he said.