Swing Dance Club begins regular Monday meetings

The Swing Dance Club is scheduled to meet every Monday unless announced otherwise, with their next meeting scheduled for Sept. 14. Students can join any time during the semester.

Two big dances are planned sometime in the fall and spring, which any student can go to.

Angelika Becker, the new sponsor of the club this year, said things have been shaken up a bit, with nothing planned but instead the club is playing things by ear. Last school year, Caitlin Baird was the sponsor of the club, but after she left, Mrs. Becker was asked to be the new sponsor.

“I used to stop by the club and try to swing dance with them,” Becker said. “That’s the reason why they asked me to do it.” Becker said she’s glad she said yes because it’s been worth the fun and she’s adjusted to the workload.

As Becker learns to dance with the students, the veteran members have taken on more of a role.

“The students have really become the teachers.  They’re a great group of student leaders. I’m very impressed,” Becker said.

“Oh yeah. The seniors are basically all officers and most of them are really good dancers. So they end up teaching the rest of us,” junior Rhiannon Miller said, via e-mail. “We have a lot more members this year right now at least. We’ll see how many people actually stay. I think the best thing for us is to just tell our friends. That’s how I started,” she said.

“It sounds kind of scary at first. But everyone is really friendly and helpful. It’s a ton of fun and there are some really cool moves that you can learn once you get good. Just don’t be afraid to try it. It’s one of the best decisions I’ve made,” Miller said.

Becker said any student can join. She said, “Come on by and learn, because I’m learning too.”