Carmel Connects continues repurposing computers

The Carmel Connects Club continues to meet every Monday after school in room F104. Each week, club members work on repurposing computers that they later donate to needy families in the area.

Senior and co-president Joshua “Josh” Bloxsome said he is pleased with the club’s progress thus far. “We’ve been doing well so far.” Bloxsome said. “Recently, we’ve just been setting things up and preparing for the year.”

At every meeting, students acquire a number of computers donated to the club through Net Literacy. This non-profit organization, started in 2005 by Carmel resident Daniel Kent, provides computers and computer labs in order to increase computer access to the public. Since 2005, the Net Literacy organization has supplied over 60,000 computers to people in Indiana, Illinois, Wyoming and Ohio.

During meetings, students take the donated computers and repurpose them. This process includes clearing all previously stored data and replacing the hardware and software. Club members repurpose anywhere from five to 25 computers a week.

Aside from repurposing computers, club members also plan to teach basic computer skills to residents at Prime Life assisted living centers. Students may demonstrate how to use the Internet, e-mail or Microsoft Word.

Club sponsor, Margaret Winans said she extended the project into some of her classes, having her students repurpose computers as well.

Bloxsome said the club still welcomes any students interested in joining.