CCPL to hold Jan. 20 meeting for interested teen volunteers

On Jan. 20, the Carmel Clay Public Library (CCPL) will conduct an organizational meeting for students interested in volunteering for a library event named Camp Half Blood. The meeting will last from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Board Room, near the Young Adult (YA) department.

“Students in grades nine through 12 can earn volunteer hours to help plan for the Camp Half Blood event,” Hope Baugh, YA services manager, said. Baugh said the organizational volunteers do not have to attend the event itself, although she said she hoped they would.

Camp Half Blood is scheduled for Feb.15, which is Presidents Day, and will last from 1 to 4 p.m. The event is intended for students in elementary and middle school who want to celebrate the release of the “Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief” movie, which is based on the popular book series’ first title. Those who attend the organizational meeting on Jan. 20 will be able to help librarians plan activities, games and crafts.

Junior Olivia Lee, a frequent CCPL visitor, said she is interested in the Camp Half Blood event.

“I’ve heard good things about The Lightning Thief and the movie looks cool,” Lee said. “Also, the event sounds good since I can hours for volunteering.”

Baugh said attending the organizational meeting would give students volunteer hours. She said, “I think if people are interested in volunteering, it’d be a fun opportunity.” By Rebecca Xu <[email protected]>