Senate organizes April blood drive, appreciation weeks to occur throughout remainder of year

After February’s record-breaking Dance Marathon fundraiser and March’s SRT-based games such as Brain Game and March Madness, what could the Senate have in mind for April?

April is the month to donate blood, according to Senator and senior Victor Obasaju, who is currently shouldering the responsibility of setting up this semester’s blood drive. There is not yet a concrete date for the blood drive, Obasaju said, but it is expected to take place near the end of April, and students will be given more details as they are available via CHTV video announcements.

This date, according to Michelle Foutz, Senate sponsor and social studies teacher, is somewhat strategic. The blood drive is scheduled in late April, she said, because for the first half of April, most students were focused on spring break, and because in May, Senate and House elections for student body president and speaker of the House will be in progress.

In addition to the upcoming blood drive and the May elections, the Senate is also organizing smaller productions, such as appreciation weeks for the school’s faculty. Senate members have dedicated this week Nurse Appreciation Week, which includes Nurse Carol Gelatt and all of the staff members in the health center.

Foutz said, “We hold appreciation weeks to recognize people like teachers, custodians, and cafeteria workers throughout this second semester.” By Beverly Jenkins <[email protected]>