Key Club holds officer elections, donates prom accessories

By the May 12 meeting, Key Club members need to have submitted 20 group hours and 20 individual hours of community service. From now until then, they can earn group hours by donating prom accessories, test preparation books and pop tabs.

Only the hours earned from events which occur after the May 12 deadline can be turned in late, according to Morgan Perry, club president and senior. Otherwise, students must inform a club officer if they have some reason to turn in their hours late, she said.

According to Perry, next year’s club officers include Kern Vohra, future club president and junior, Rachel Morgan, future club vice president and sophomore, and Victor Xu, future club secretary and sophomore. Next year’s class officers must turn in their applications at the April 14 meeting, she said, and the elections will take place at the April 28 meeting.

“Class officers are the core of Key Club,” Perry said. “They do the legwork delegated by the president and vice president, like making phone calls and researching volunteer opportunities.”

One such opportunity for club members is Riley Hospital’s Cancer Center Prom. According to club co-sponsor Katie Gray, this event allows kids with cancer who are unable to go to school to enjoy prom at the hospital. The hospital needs prom accessories such as gently used suits and dresses, she said, as well as jewelry and purses.

“Think about if (what you are donating) is something you would use or wear for your own prom,” Gray said.

Club members can also earn group hours by donating AP test preparation books from previous classes or older siblings as part of the organization Spread the Prep, according to Gray.

“A lot of Carmel students have (test preparation books) lying around the home,” Gray said. “We’re giving them to Indianapolis Public Schools and other less-advantaged schools, where they might not have the opportunity to get those books.” By Thalib Razi