Students for Education to give tutoring members more autonomy

Aghilah Nadaraj, Students for Education vice president and senior, writes the club’s new scheduling plans. Nadaraj said club members have gained enough experience that the presence of club officers during tutoring is no longer necessary. HENRY ZHU / PHOTO

The literacy-centered group Students for Education plans to adapt its tutoring system as to give students more independence when volunteering. Aghilah Nadaraj, vice president and senior, said the group will now allow its members to tutor at the Coburn Center without supervision by club officers.

“We just started up our tutoring program again in mid-January, and we’re making a few changes to it this semester,” Nadaraj said. “Before, we only let members tutor when an officer could accompany and supervise them, but now they have more freedom to tutor whenever they want to.”

According to sponsor Sherri Pankratz, the club’s meetings and activities are almost entirely run by the officers.

“I leave most of the day-to-day functions of the club to the students,” Pankratz said.

As for Nadaraj, she said the club made the change because members no longer needed the officers’ help during tutoring sessions.

“After a semester of tutoring, I think the club members got the gist of tutoring and didn’t need (the officers) to watch them all the time,” Nadaraj said. ”In addition, the need to have an officer present meant there were only a few times that members could tutor, and now they have more flexibility to do what is most convenient for them.”

To read the previous report, click here.

View Comments (1)
$20
$500

• R

Rhaame NadarajFeb 20, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Hi I am Rhaame Nadaraj the sister of Aghilah. Aghilah is a very nice person to anyone and can get along with anyone. She cares about the kids who she teaches and does this for the kids who need help. One day when one of the president called out the meeting she was very mad because she knew she needed to teach and educate kids who are lacking in reading, math and more subjects. Overall she is a great person.

Reply