Chemistry Club to have next elementary school demonstration on April 20

Chemistry Club members have organized a demonstration for IPS school 55, Eliza Baker Elementary, after school on April 20. Approximately 10 students will lead the demonstration, along with Jennifer Marlow, head of the science department and possibly club sponsor Virginia Kundrat, according to Kundrat.

The club will perform the same experiments as it has done in past demonstrations, such as an ice cream lab, water labs and density labs. Additionally, the elementary students will receive paper lab coats and gloves to provide the feeling of “being an actual scientist,” Kundrat said.

Kundrat said she will do little in leading the demonstrations but will help out wherever needed.

“Just having high school students doing the demonstrations for the kids, they really love that,” Kundrat said.

The club expects a large number of students to attend, as they have in the past, according to Kundrat, although, its limit is around 40 students.

“It’s all about helping them understand a little more about science,” Kundrat said.