Teachers, students to continue to adjust to RISE standards

STAYING THE COURSE: Algebra II student and junior Austin Layman works on his homework. Layman says he plans to just do his math this semester. MATT BARNTHOUSE / PHOTO

The CHS math department is not

making many changes this semester, according to department chairperson Jacinda Sohalski.

Sohalski said via e-mail, “We aren’t introducing any sweeping changes this semester. Our teachers continue to try different things in their classrooms and these are shared with their teams and the department.”

This announcement is coming after the first semester of the new RISE standards, which has not appeared to change the teaching environment for students.

“I don’t think that RISE has had a big impact on the students,” Sohalski said. “I do think the teachers are adjusting to it and I think that second semester will go more smoothly, if only because the teachers have a better idea what to expect.”

Austin Layman, Algebra II student and junior, agrees. He answered “No,” on whether or not he has seen any big changes in the classroom this year. He plans to continue to work by “doing (his) math.”