Carmel Dads Club offers scholarships to graduating seniors

According to Jack Beery, Carmel Dads Club president, the Dads Club staff is in the process of choosing which athletes will receive the three scholarships that are offered to graduating seniors via the Dads Club and the Carmel Education Foundation. A banquet in May, according to Beery, will be held to name and honor athletes who will receive the Male Carmel Dads Club Scholarship, The Female Carmel Dads Club Scholarship and the Pam Creek Memorial Scholarship.

In preparation for the spring sports season, Facilities Superintendent Josh Blackmore examines the turf on the soccer field at Carmel Dads Club. Blackmore said that, with over 5,000 participants, the spring season of youth sports will be busy. CHRISTINE FERNANDO / PHOTO

Beery said that the Dads Club staff is putting a lot of effort into choosing the ideal candidate for each of the scholarships.

“We put a lot of time and effort into looking at each one of the applications and then we make a decision and turn it into the Carmel Clay School Education Foundation,” Beery said. “It’s important that we choose the most worthy athlete.”

When awarding scholarships, staff members, according to Beery, review a student’s character, as well as the number of seasons, sports, and volunteer hours that the student has completed at the Dads Club. Additionally, staff members look at the required essays that applicants write regarding their experiences at the Dads Club, and at GPA.

“We’re not necessarily looking for 4.0 students,” Beery said. “We’re looking for kids that made their mark on the Dads Club and truly enjoyed their experience here.”

Freshman Gabby Paolucci plays soccer at the Dads Club and said she is thrilled that the Dads Club offers scholarships to student athletes.

“I think what the Dads Club is doing is great,” Paolucci said. “They are rewarding students for their hard work and encouraging current athletes to work harder, so that they can someday get the scholarship. The scholarships give athletes here a great new opportunity.”

Beery said he agrees that the scholarships offer a great opportunity to athletes at the Dads Club.

“I’m happy that the Dads Club is able to help these students in some way,” Beery said. “These kids deserve to be rewarded for their dedication.”