Next president chosen for Homework Helpers, club looks to recruit more members

With the end of the school year approaching, co-presidents and seniors Ana Carolina Corey and Abinand Rejimon chose sophomore Abby Fields as the next president of Homework Helpers.

As president, Fields will have the task of organizing who goes to the tutoring sessions and when they take place. In addition to this task, she manage recruiting more members for the club.

According to Fields, she has many resolutions for the next year.

“I want to make the club more active and more involved. Right now, there aren’t many members in it, so I’d like to get more people to join.” Fields said.

Students who are interested in joining the club for the 2013-2014 school year should either come to Sponsor Susan Johnson’s classroom, room E117, or visit the club’s Facebook page. They can learn how to complete the process of registering through Carmel Parks and Recreation to become a member of Homework Helpers for the next school year.

Members of Homework Helpers help elementary school students with basic school subjects and with their homework. Through this, members can learn valuable skills, help out the community and earn service hours.

Johnson said, “The elementary kids look forward to the high school kids coming over there every week. I’ve seen our kids walk in the door, and the elementary kids get very excited to see them come through the door. It’s a special relationship that they start to develop throughout the year, and you don’t see that with other clubs.”