German exchange program continues until Oct. 29

18 students and two teachers from Germany came to be a part of the Exchange Student Program at this school.

Carmel was chosen to house the German exchange students until Oct. 29. These exchange students are from a city just outside Berlin. 

While they are here they will be staying in houses with families that live in Carmel. German student Christina Grubler said, “The houses here are so much bigger than my house in Germany. Everything is bigger here. The schools, the gyms in our school, everything is so much larger than what is like in Germany.”

Grubler isn’t one of the exchange students. Her mom is one of the teachers that are here with the students. “I have been taught enough English so I could come with my mother.”

All of the Exchange students have to have a lot of English speaking experience. Grubler said, “I’ve had a lot of English practice, but I still don’t understand what people say to me sometimes. English is difficult.”

The average German school is less than half the size of Carmel, but the students seem to be adjusting well. Grubler said that this school is “Huge, very big.  It scared me at first.”

Exchange Student Sven Gruel said, “I like Carmel High School a lot. There are many opportunities. The school is very serious and is about business.” By Catelyn Carpenter <[email protected]>