New immunizations required for all students next school year

The Hamilton County Department of Health is issuing new immunization requirements for the 2010-11 school year. It is anticipated that students will need to have two new requirements added to the present list.

“You may have had these immunizations before so you need to check with your doctor to see if you have had or need them,” head nurse Carol Gelatt said. “Dates will be required by the first day of school in August of 2010 and this is required for all students.”

The first new required vaccine is called “Tdap.” Students will not need to get this shot if they have had it in the past 10 years. However, according to Gelatt, many have not received it. Tdap will protect students from tetanus infections.

The other vaccine is MCV4, or Meningococcal, which prevents against bacterial meningitus.

“Meningitus can cause a blood infection that starts with flu-like symptoms. It progresses rapidly,” Gelatt said. “It may cause death, loss of arms or legs, deafness or seizure disorder.”

Students can obtain their shot records from the Health Center or their personal physicians. By Julian Sollenskog <[email protected]>