Key Club has opportunities for end-of-semester points

On Dec. 12, Key Club will volunteer at the Jingle Bell Run downtown. In addition, club members can ring bells for the Salvation Army on the weekends leading up to winter break.

According to co-sponsor Katie Gray, the Jingle Bell Run is a five-kilometer run for charity where participants will wear bells on their shoes to celebrate the season. Club members will volunteer by handing out water and snacks to the runners and cheering them on, she said.

Also, Gray said by ringing bells on the street for the Salvation Army, club members will encourage people to donate spare change for the organization’s many charity programs.

“Be prepared for the weather. It’ll probably be chilly, but you never know what will happen in Indiana in December,” Gray said. “It could be 50 degrees or 10 degrees below zero, depending.”

According to Gray, both events, especially the weekly bell ringing, provide many opportunities for club members to earn group hours. She advised students to have around 25 hours by the end of the semester in order to have the required 50 hours by April.

Lawrence Yeh, club member and junior, said he plans to ring bells for the Salvation Army sometime in the next few weeks.
“There’s one (bell-ringing site) at O’Malia’s, which is next to my house,” Yeh said. “I’m not trying to make the 25-hour goal for December; I’m just trying to catch up. If you’re busy one semester, you’ll do less and you’ll have to compensate for it.” By Thalib Razi <[email protected]>