Kids Against Hunger feeds those in need

Kids Against Hunger is a club that raises money and puts in volunteer hours to help kids all over the world that suffer from starvation.

Once a month, this club goes to help churches and other places that sponsor the Red Cross packaging event. This event is where students and other volunteers package food to be shipped out all over the world. Packaging event sponsor Ellie Downey is one of the few people who runs this event and encourages clubs like Kids Against Hunger to help with the event.

“I want kids to know how good they have it, once they spend around an hour at the packaging event, they get a pretty good sense of the hardship that people in other countries face,” she said.

The members of Kids Against Hunger donate money as well as do packaging events. They donate money to different organizations such as UNICEF and OBAT helpers. These organizations then send the money to the families that need food. The donations can also be given during the packaging events. Sponsor of Kids Against Hunger, Maggie Cassidy, said she likes to sponsor this club because she likes the fact that it is helping the less fortunate.

“The students do so much work, I think the club is a good way to help different people around the world get something that most people here take for granted,” she said.

The Red Cross packaging events will be discontinued for a small part of time during the winter, but around Thanksgiving time and the holidays, they need as much help as they can get.

“We really like it when we can give food during the holiday time when people really enjoy the food and being with the family the most, also the weather is getting colder and the food becomes more important,” Downey said.

The students from Carmel High School also meet with kids from other schools such as Westfield and Hamilton Heights to package food and help those in need.

“We really come together, not just as a school but as a community, I guess that’s one of the things the students really like about the club, it makes you feel like family and you know you’re doing a great thing.” By Hannah Khan <[email protected]>