German Club to attend Staatskongress Feb. 27

On Feb. 27 the German Club, as well as all interested German students, are scheduled to attend the Staatskongress at Ball State University. This event is a German state competition in which students can compete in a wide range of German culture and language events. According to German Club sponsor Laura King all students interested in attending this event must have their registration forms in by Feb. 12.

According to King, depending on the event, students may need to do a little preparation for the competition. She said, “We’re hoping to offer help sessions during SRT and after school.”

While not competing in events, students also have the opportunity of going to sessions based on the theme for this year’s Staatskongress, Holidays and Celebrations, to learn about German culture. These sessions are varied and include anything from games to sampling German food.

Theresa Lipp, German Club president and junior attended the Staaskongress her freshman year. She said, “It was a lot of fun especially getting to eat German food that I haven’t had in a while.”

If students are successful in the events they compete in and obtain first, second or third place they are awarded a ribbon. But more importantly they have something notable to include it in their college applications. Mrs. King said, “It’s something colleges are really impressed by because there are over 500 students in the competition.” By Meredith Boyd <[email protected]>