Carmel Dads Club extends winter basketball registration

Registration for Carmel Dads Club winter basketball has been extended, according to sponsorship coordinator Jan Smith. Though online registration has closed, students can still fill out a form at the Dads Club office, located at Badger Park, 5459 E. Main St. However, students who register now must pay an extra $25 late fee, along with the standard $85 for uniforms and equipment.

Smith says winter basketball is open to students from pre-kindergarten to high school and includes a recreational league and a travel team.

“The great thing about having a recreational league is that any child that registers is on the team,” Smith said “You don’t have to try out.”

Smith says the recreational league is perfect for athletes who just want to have fun and stay active, while the travel team is open to anyone who wants to play on a more serious level.

Freshman Erica Washington has played basketball in the recreational league for two years and said she is planning on continuing this upcoming season.

“It’s fun and I enjoy playing basketball,” Washington said. “It’s a good way to get sports in and stay active.”

Like Smith, Washington says she also sees the value of having a recreational league.

“On the recreational league, kids can play what they want to play,” Washington said. “They don’t have to worry about getting picked for that team. They can focus on just having fun.”