Carmel Dads Club kicks off new spring season; late registration available

According to Jodi Kmec, Carmel Dads Club Assistant Athletics Director, practices for the new spring season begin on April 18, with games starting on April 13. Kmec said soccer, baseball, softball and volleyball are open to high school students. However, late registration, according to Kmec, is still available for high school leagues. Though online registration is closed, students can register at the Dads Club office, located at Badger Park, 5459 E. Main St., or send a form by mail or email. Those who register late must pay a $25 late fee.

Krista Grubb, Carmel Dads Club business manager, speaks to a parent who is looking to register her child for the spring sports season after the official deadline.  Grubb said that even though the official deadline has passed, she still encourages students to take advantage of the late registration opportunity by signing up for spring sports. CHRISTINE FERNANDO / PHOTO
Krista Grubb, Carmel Dads Club business manager, speaks to a parent who is looking to register her child for the spring sports season after the official deadline. Grubb said that even though the official deadline has passed, she still encourages students to take advantage of the late registration opportunity by signing up for spring sports. CHRISTINE FERNANDO / PHOTO

Kmec said soccer, with 340 openings in high school leagues, is the most popular sport offered during the spring season, mainly because it is co-educational.

“High school soccer is popular because it’s co-ed. It’s very social and boys and girls get to play together,” Kmec said. “The kids just enjoy hanging out and being together.”

Sophomore Mariana Rodriguez has played soccer at the Dads Club for four years, but is not planning to continue playing in this upcoming season because she, unlike Kmec, said she does not like co-ed teams.

“I quit soccer because I didn’t want to do co-ed,” Rodriguez said. “The guys play rough and I didn’t want to get injured. Plus, I thought they’d hog the ball.”

Kmec said that even though many, like Rodriguez, are reluctant to participate in co-ed sports, they can be a great opportunity for any student athlete.

“Don’t be afraid to try something new,” Kmec said. “Some people may not like the idea of co-ed sports, but it can be fun and rewarding if you give it a try.”