Senate begins student body president election process

Student body president George Gemelas addresses the Senate SRT. According to Gemelas, the election process for next year’s student body president will begin with a mandatory meeting for prospective candidates on April 14. HAFSA RAZI / PHOTO

The election process for next year’s student body president will continue through the rest of April, according to current student body president George Gemelas. Juniors who are interested in running for this office should come to the Senate room, Room E220, at 3:25 p.m. on April 14 for a mandatory meeting.

At the meeting, Senate sponsor Michelle Foutz said, current Senate leaders will discuss the rules and responsibilities of the student body president. Prospective candidates will pick up a petition form, for which candidates must obtain 50 signatures from fellow students as a nomination for their candidacy. Petition forms are due to Foutz or the activities office by April 17.

According to Foutz, voting will open at 7 a.m. on April 21 and continue until April 24, which is when the results will be announced. During this week, candidates will be putting up posters and actively campaigning for the office. If no candidate wins a majority, a run-off election will take place on April 28 and April 29 between the top two candidates. Students of all grade levels can vote for student body president by accessing the ballot on the student government webpage.

Foutz stressed that students are not allowed to vote in place of another person. In the past, she said, candidates have been removed for offering to take students’ information and vote for them.

“You can only vote for yourself,” she said.

General elections for Senate positions and class officers will take place on May 5, Gemelas said. There will be a mandatory meeting for prospective candidates on April 28 in Greyhound Station after school, and petition forms for these offices will be due on May 1.