Construction work on new fitness center continues

PE student and sophomore Samantha Sharkey and her classmates exercise in the cardio room. Sharkey said that she is looking forward to using the new fitness center next year. CLAUDIA HUANG / PHOTO

According to Assistant Principal Doug Bird, the construction staff is continuing steady progress on the new fitness center.

Bird said, “We’re still hopeful that

everything will be finished before the school year starts in August.”

According to Bird, the construction staff started the brick and mortar work. Once the walls are put up, they will begin work on the interior, such as electrical wiring.

Bird said the new fitness center will in

clude a suspended track and two side-by-side basketball courts on the top floor. The first floor will consist of expanded weight and cardio rooms. The current weight and cardio rooms will be integrated into the new fitness center.

Bird said, “There’s really no comparison (between the

current weight room and the new one). It’s really going to be first class facilities that our student athletes deserve and the PE classes, too, will really enjoy it.”

PE student and sophomore Samantha Sharkey said that she is looking forward to using the new fitness center next year.

Sharkey said, “I think the construction of the building is helpful to the school. I’m excited to use it because it will give us more room to work out in.”

For more information about the new fitness center, click here.